Who would have thought that spending a night at a tavern could be good for the brain?
The creators of DIY Creations!
DIY Creations is a social crafting tavern in Loveland, CO where you can gather with friends and create projects while enjoying a locally-brewed beverage or a finely-crafted cocktail.
Some people have the misconception that arts and crafts are just for kids. But nothing could be farther from the truth. There are several health benefits to the mind and brain associated with making crafts that are apparent at any age.
So if you’re an adult and need to be convinced to try some DIY, look no further!
- Stress Relief. Being an adult is stressful. But it’s in your power to control the stress—with arts and crafts! Creating art relaxes the mind, giving your brain a break from the approximately 60,000 thoughts you have a day. This helps to reduce stress levels, because when you’re creating, you tend to be “in the zone.” Creating also helps you become more mindful of your environment.
- Creative Thinking. In art, there’s no one right answer. The process of creating therefore stimulates you to think about problems in innovative ways. This out-of-the-box thinking also pushes your brain to grow new neurons.
- Greater Self-Esteem. When you make something on your own, you’re likely filled with a feeling of pride. Creating art enhances the “feel good” neurotransmitter in your brain called dopamine, which boosts motivation, focus, and concentration.
- Increased Brain Plasticity. Your brain’s ability to form new connections decreases slightly as you age, but engaging in new and complex activity reverses this process. When making art, you’re allowing your brain to make new connections and are enhancing communication among different parts of the brain.
- Increased Empathy. A study in which 10,000 students spent an hour at an art museum showed that exposure to art not only improves critical thinking skills, but also enhances empathy towards other people. Especially interesting is that these students expressed greater understanding towards people different from them.
So what are you waiting for? Show your brain the love it deserves by spending an evening at DIY Creations. For novices and experienced artists alike, DIY Creations is sure to give you an unforgettable experience.
Alban, Deane. The Mental Health Benefits of Art Are For Everyone. Be Brain Fit.